Book Review | My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell

                                 

Hey my lovelies, and welcome back to yet another book review! Now I won't lie, I feel like I'm on a good old run with my reading lately so I would like to apologise for all of the book content which keeps coming your way, but I don't want to end this reading hype I'm on. So, with that being said, today I am going to be sharing my thoughts on Kate Elizabeth Russell's My Dark Vanessa. This has been all over bookstagram recently and has received mixed reviews from many, so I was looking forward to reading it and accumulating my own thoughts. I actually read this with my lovely friend @octobermoonblog as a buddy read, which was lovely and made the reading process all the more enjoyable :). 

There are so many parts of this book that were thought-provoking and I feel need discussing that this may just be a ramble, so I'm sorry for that. Also, HUGE trigger-warning with this book as it features: sexual abuse, child abuse, violence, rape, grooming, pedophilia, drugs and alcohol abuse. It is an incredibly intense and difficult read so I would consider these things before picking it up and reading it yourself. 

Firstly, how the book is written is exceptional. The pace and structure is perfect and helps the book move along at a good speed. The structure and moving between past and present complimented the storyline and  kept me hooked, as you only get a piece of the story with each chapter. At the start, it put me in quite the predicament as it's a book you don't want to say you're enjoying, but at the same time I couldn't put it down! For a debut, it was clever and well-written, and one Russell should be proud of.

Now, the content of the book... Of course it is problematic, there is no surprise there. When recounts of child abuse and grooming are in memoirs and non-fiction they are always a complicated read, and this is only intensified when that book is a work of fiction. Additionally, as it is written from a homodiegetic, first person narrative perspective of a fictional character, this always poses questions. However, I would argue this book is successful in it's research and handling of the topic. Does it show a completely different point of view? Yes. Does it romanticise grooming and child abuse, almost making this a love story? Possibly. But I would argue there is some truth in that. This is a different "survivor" story (I place this in speech marks as I don't think Vanessa would consider herself a survivor), and not one I think should be pushed aside. It poses really interesting questions for authors as well, like: should authors have to personally experience the trauma they are writing about? And in the same breath: should an author feel pressured into sharing their personal trauma/experiences to validate their work?

❗️POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT ❗️Many people criticised this book for what happens to Strane, Vanessa's abuser, and whether this a "cop out" on the author's behalf. I would argue against that, and instead suggest it's a metaphor for the reality that a lot of "survivors" face; a reality of unfulfillment. A lot of rapists and abusers are never punished, are never held accountable for their actions, which I think this novel demonstrates. 

Vanessa is a truly complex character, she's not even particularly likeable at times. Sometimes you just want to reach through the pages and shake her. Her mother, as well, is infuriating. It is clear Vanessa has been manipulated and let down by the institutions that were designed to protect her (Browick - I'm looking at you!), but it also blurs some serious lines. Written in line with the #metoo movement, Russell explores the truth that some survivors might feel pressured by the movement to share their personal stories, and some just might not want to - and who's to say this is wrong? The effects of abuse are very evident throughout the novel. Vanessa experiences many disassociation episodes and becomes entirely detached from her own body that she becomes caught in a vicious cycle. 

I 100% understand that this book is complicated and problematic, I get it. However, I think Russell is telling a very valid story and one that needs to be heard. I read a review which described this book as a "dull grey", which is the perfect description. Abuse and the way we react to it has always been black or white, right or wrong, but this book shows that in some cases, this isn't always true. 

I feel it would be wrong to rate this book with stars, as I would never rate someone's personal account of abuse on a scale of 1 to 5. However, what I will say is that I think this novel was: 1. a superb debut on Russell's behalf, and 2. is an absolute must-read in modern times. 

So there we go my loves, there's my review of My Dark Vanessa. If you have read this book and would like to discuss it further then please feel free to leave me a comment, send an email or DM on Instagram, I would be more than happy to talk about my thoughts in more depth. Hope you are all well, and I'll see you on Friday for our weekly blog post! Lots of love xoxo 


 

Comments

Popular Posts